- Take a potato and observe its surface. Can notches be seen?
- Cut the potato into small pieces such that some pieces contain a notch or bud and some do not.
- Spread some cotton on a tray and wet it. Place the potato pieces on this cotton. Note where the pieces with the buds are placed.
- Observe changes taking place in these potato pieces over the next few days. Make sure that the cotton is kept moistened.
The potato pieces having buds gradually grows and develops.
But there is no growth and development in potato pieces without buds.
- Which are the potato pieces that give rise to fresh green shoots and roots?
The pieces with buds give rise to fresh green shoots and roots.