PART A: BOTANY
(Maximum: 30 Scores)
1. What is the function of Restriction Endonuclease in recombinant DNA technology?
a. Link together fragments of DNAb. Make millions of copies of DNAc. Cut DNA into many fragments.d. Separate fragments of DNA
2. The Government of India has introduced the concept of ......................., so as to work closely with the local communities for protecting and managing forests.
3. Which among the following is not a greenhouse gas?
a. N2Ob. Methanec. Carbon dioxided. Ozone
Answer any 9 questions from 4 to 14. Each carries 2 Score. (9 x 2 = 18)
4. Many countries encourage the cultivation of Genetically Modified Crops (G. M. Plants). Write any two advantages of GM plants.
5. Match the columns (A) and (B):
(a) An orchid growing on a tree trunk
(b) Gauss's Exclusion Principle
(c) Biological control
(d) Derives nutrition from the host organism
6. Write the asexual reproductive structures given in the diagrams (a), (b), (c) and (d).
a. How is PCR useful in molecular diagnosis?b. What is the principle of ELISA?
8. (a) Identify the type of ecological pyramid given below.
(b) Pyramid of energy is always upright. Why?
9. Deforestation is a serious issue in the present scenario. Write any two major consequences of deforestation.
10. Observe the flow chart given below:
a. Name the processes represented as A and B.b. If 'Nt' is the population density at time t, then write down the population density equation at time t + 1.
12. Given below is a flow chart showing the accumulation of DDT in different trophic levels:
a. Name the phenomenon.b. How does it affect bird population?
a. What are detritivores?b. Write an example for a detritivore.
14. Double fertilization is a characteristic feature of angiosperms.
a. Which are the events in double fertilization?b. Name the triploid nucleus formed as a result of double fertilization.
Answer any 3 questions from 15 to 18. Each carries 3 scores. (3 x 3 = 9)
15. Recombinant DNA technology is a complex process which involves several steps. Write down the major steps in recombinant DNA technology.
16. The discovery of Restriction Endonuclease is considered as "milestone" in the history of genetic engineering.
a. Which is the first discovered restriction endonuclease?b. What are the criteria for naming of restriction endonuclease?
17. Observe the diagram of young anther given below.
a. Identify the parts labelled as A, B, C and D.b. Which layer nourishes the developing pollen grains?
a. Give an example for a progeny obtained by interspecific hybridisation,b. How does outcrossing differs from crossbreeding?