2017 MARCH (+1) 1. Who among the following scientists is related with the identiﬁcation of cytokinins? (1)
PART A: BOTANY
a) E. Kurosawab) F. Skoogc) C. Darwind) F.W. Went
2. Read the following statements and select the correct statements from the given choices. (1)
i) Methanogens are present in the guts of ruminant animals.ii) Mycoplasma has distinct cell wall.iii) Viroids are infectious naked DNA molecules.iv) Algal component of lichen is phycobiont.
a) (ii) and (iii)
b) (i) and (iv)
c) (i) and (iii)
d) (ii) and (iv)
3. Algae are useful to man in a variety of ways. Suggest any four uses of algae. (2)
4. The root nodules of leguminous plants contain two necessary biochemical compounds for N2 fixation. Identify these compounds. (2)
5. An important difference between C3 & C4 plants is photorespiration. Explain how photorespiration occurs in C3 plants. (2)
6. Write any four agricultural applications of ethylene. (2)
7. Define Blackman's law of limiting factors and identify any two important factors which influence the rate of photosynthesis in plants. (2)
8. The movement of water through the root layers is ultimately symplastic in the endodermis. Give a reason. (2)
9. a) The arrangement of ﬂowers on the ﬂoral axis is called
i) Aestivationii) Phyllotaxyiii) Placentationiv) Inﬂorescence
b) How can you differentiate an actinomorphic ﬂower from a zygomorphic ﬂower? (3)
10. a) The tissues involve in secondary growth of dicot plants are vascular cambium and ..................
b) Compare the formation of vascular cambia in dicot stem and dicot root. (3)
11. a) Identify a cell organelle which contains hydrolytic enzymes.
b) Rough Endoplasmic Reticulum (RER) and Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum (SER) are morphologically and functionally different. Justify this statement. (3)
12. Given below is the metaphase of mitosis. (3)
Analyze the diagram and draw a sketch of anaphase. Write any two events of anaphase.
13. Glycolysis is the partial oxidation of glucose to produce two molecules of pyruvic acid. (4)
a) Where does glycolysis occur?b) Steps of glycolysis are given below. Fill up the blank boxes.
The complete oxidation of pyruvic acid yields three molecules of CO2 by a cyclic process in the matrix of mitochondria.
a) Who ﬁrst develop this cycle?b) Draw a diagrammatic sketch of the identiﬁed cycle. (4)