BIOTECHNOLOGY AND ITS APPLICATIONS
1. The recombinant DNA technological process has made immense impact in the area of healthcare. How Eli Lilly produced Insulin? (Scores: 2)
2. Some ethical standards are required to evaluate the morality of all human activities. Explain Bio Piracy. (Scores: 2)
1. RNA can suppress the activity of a gene. Explain it with suitable example. (Scores: 2)
2. “Many diseases could be treated by an advanced technique called gene therapy. Assess its role in the treatment of lymphocyte disorder, giving any suitable example. (Scores: 2)
1. Match the following
(a) Antigen-antibody reaction (i) ADA deﬁciency
(b) a-lactalbumin (ii) Emphysema
(c) a -1-antitrypsin (iii) Rosie
(d) Gene therapy (iv) ELISA (Scores: ½ X 4 = 2)
2. Insulin getting assembled into a mature form was the major challenge in commercial insulin production by rDNA technology. How did Eli Nilly Company found a solution to this problem? (Scores: 2)
1. Genetically modified plants have been used in many ways. Give any four advantages of such plants.
2. In 1983, American company Eli Lilly produced human insulin artificially. Write down the method followed in this technique.
3. Meloideqyne incognitia is a nematode parasite infects the root of tobacco plants. its infection can be prevented by biotechnological methods.
a. Name the strategy.
b. Explain the principle behind this strategy.