a. Beverages: They contain 5-15% alcohol. E,g, Wine, beer and toddy.
b. Spirits: They contain more than 50% alcohol. E.g. Whisky, brandy, rum, gin, arrack etc .
The victims of alcoholism are known as alcoholics.
Effects of alcoholism
- Affects thinking ability, speech, movements, reflexes etc.
- Amnesia, blurred vision, loss of body balance, nausea, vomiting, headache etc.
- Cirrhosis and fatty liver.
- Alcoholic polyneuritis and loss of appetite
- Cardiovascular diseases and hypertension.
- Ulcer, pancreatitis and gastritis.
- Loss of sexual drive and necrospermia.
- Foetal alcohol syndrome (FAS or Alcohol Embryopathy).
- Family and social problems.
Effects of alcoholism on traffic accidents
- Affects co-ordination and correct judgment of distance
- Affects vision. Often causes Tunnel vision
- Increases reaction time
- Affects behaviour
- Medical treatment
- Social methods of treatment (Group therapy)
- Aversion therapy (Behavioural treatment)