AMAZING FACTS ABOUT NEURAL SYSTEM
(BRAIN, SPINAL CORD AND NERVES)
1. Human neural system is made up specialized cells called neurons (nerve cells).
2. Rate of neuron growth during development of a fetus (in the womb) is about 250,000 neurons/minute
3. Diameter of a neuron is 4 to 100 microns.
4. Longest axon of a neuron is around 15 feet (Giraffe primary afferent axon from toe to neck).
5. The human brain has about 100 billion (100,000,000,000) neurons. But in an octopus brain it will be 300 billion!!
6. There are more nerve cells in the human brain than there are stars in the Milky Way.
7. Assume that one neuron is about 10 microns long. So, if we line up 100 billion neurons it will distance about 1000 km!
8. Humans have the most complex brain of any animal on earth.
9. Your brain is about 1300-1400 cubic centimeters in volume, about the size of a cantaloupe and wrinkled like a walnut.
10. Your brain is divided into two sides. The left side of the brain controls the right side of your body and the right side of your brain controls the left side of your body.
11. How can you react to something quickly? It’s due to very fast movement of information as electric impulses through nerves. Nerve impulses travel to and from the brain at the speed of about 274 kilometers per hour. Information travels at different speeds within different types of neurons.
12. While you are awaken, your brain can produce enough electricity to illuminate a 25-watt bulb.
13. Human brain can store 5 times as much information as the Encyclopedia Britannica. Storage capacity of the brain in electronic terms is 3 to 1,000 terabytes (1 terabyte= 1000 gigabytes).
14. Your brain makes up only about 2% of body mass, but uses 20% of the oxygen and energy. It means brain needs much oxygen for proper functioning. So do breathe exercise regularly.
15. The brain is much more active at night than during the day.
16. Average length of most dreams is only 2-3 seconds.
17. The brain itself cannot feel pain. Because the brain does not have pain receptors and cannot feel pain. But the brain is surrounded by many tissues, nerves and blood vessels that are receptive to pain.
18. Your brain is 80% water. Living brain tissue is a jelly-like organ due to high water content of the tissue.
19. The big toe is the foot reflexology pressure point for the head.
20. The most sensitive cluster of nerves is at the base of the spine.
21. People who ride on roller coasters have a higher chance of having a blood clot in the brain.
22. After the age of 35, human brain will start losing about 7,000 brain cells a day. The cells will never be replaced.
23. It is not possible to tickle yourself. The cerebellum (a part of the brain) warns the remaining parts of the brain that you are about to tickle yourself. So the brain ignores the resulting sensation.
24. In America, the most common mental illness is Anxiety Disorders.
25. Your cerebral cortex is about as thick as a tongue depressor. It grows thicker as you learn and use it.
26. The brain feels like a ripe avocado and looks pink because of the blood flowing through it.
27. A newborn baby's brain grows almost 3 times in course of first year.
28. Overexposure to aluminum compounds in foil, cookware, deodorants, antacids, toothpaste etc may affect brain function.
29. A cooked potato can jump-start your brain when you're feeling foggy.
30. The essential oil of jasmine can quickly restore mental alertness.
31. Eating foods rich in vitamin E, beta-carotene, and vitamin C may help lower your risk of Alzheimer's disease.