STRUCTURAL ORGANISATION IN ANIMALS
Intestinal caeca, gizzard, blood glands, testes, ovary, clitellum
b) Vermicomposting is an advanced strategy in agriculture. What capabilities of the earthworm are utilized in this strategy? (1)
2013 OCTOBER (IMPROVEMENT)
1. Features of a particular tissue visible through a microscopic observation is presented here:
Cells are closely arranged. Intercellular matrix absent. Cells are supported by basement membrane.
a. Identify the animal tissue. (½)
b. Classify the tissue based on number of cell layers. (½)
c. Mention their functions. (1)
2. Observe the diagrammatic representation.
a. Name the animal A and B. (1)
b. Write one function of any two structures given in the boxes. (1)
1. Where do you find the following structures in human body?
a. Collagen fibres b. Axons
c. Squamous epithelium d. Smooth muscles (2)
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable terms according to the indicators shown below:
Indicators: a & b – food habit/ c & d- Excretory organ.
a. Cockroach: ………………
b. Earthworm: ………………
c. Cockroach: ………………
d. Earthworm: ……………… (2)
1. Names of two animal tissues are given:
a. Cardiac muscle tissue
b. Adipose tissue
i. Write the location of these tissues in our body.
ii. Select the accurate character of each tissue from the items given below.
1. Cells of this tissue are specialized to store fat.
2. Cells of this tissue (chondrocytes) are seen in small cavities within the matrix.
3. Presence of intercalated discs. (1+1=2)
2. Mention the functions of the following: (1+1=2)
a. Blood glands of ‘Pheretima’.
b. Hepatic caeca of ‘Periplaneta americana’.
1. If the head of a cockroach is cut off, it will be alive for as long as one week. Give clarification for this statement. (1)
2. The diagram given below is a simple epithelium.
a. Name the part marked as “P” in the figure.
b. Write one function of a simple epithelium. (1)
3. The male and female cockroaches can be identified by the difference in their morphological features. (2)
a. Name this phenomenon.
b. Give one external difference between males & females.
1. Name any two secretions of exocrine glands. (1)
2. Select the odd one out in the following series. (1)
a. Areolar tissue, Blood, Neuron, Tendon
b. Hypopharynx, Malpighian tubules, Maxillae, Labrum
3. In a laboratory session your Biology teacher exhibited blood smears (slides) of cockroach and human beings under microscope. How will you distinguish them based on the nature of plasma and blood cells? (2)